Thursday, April 26, 2007





Riley "Hilton" chillin' in the backyard!

Okay....so I know I never posted my results of the test I took to see if I had the auto-antibody to folate. Well, I do. So, basically I don't absorb enough folic acid to pass it along to a developing fetus. Thus....the reason why Riley has spina bifida. I am not happy I have the auto-antibody, but it is somewhat of a relief to have an answer as to why Riley was born with SB. I am now taking 5 times the recommended dosage of folic acid for our next pregnancy.....but don't get any ideas....we are not ready for our next one yet! We are very content with one!



When I took this test, the scientist was telling me that ALL women should have this test that are in child-bearing years to know if they need extra folic acid prior and during a pregnancy. Or, take 5x more than what your normal prenatal pill offers. I took prenatals for 6 months before I got pregnant, and obviously during the pregnancy. I ate a ton of wheat germ and fortified cereal (my only craving), but I still didn't absorb enough. They have yet to market the test, but will soon. If you are interested, I will pass along the info. There is no such test to see how much you do or don't absorb, so they tell you to take gobs of it. I don't mean to be preachy....it's obviously something close to my heart. I just want you all to be informed.






1 comment:

Jessica Mooney said...

I love that gal in her shades! So cute!
I posted all the pics of you guys on my blog! Thanks again for letting me hang capture your cute family!
Jessica